Friday 20 January 2012

Fanny Hill - John Cleland

I once tried to read Fanny Hill, about 2 years ago.  I struggled, so much so I never got beyond the second page. I think this had a lot to do with the fact that I was essentially trying to read a book written in old prose in a place where I was surrounded by people talking. The two don't gel well, and I gave up and moved onto easier pastures.

Fanny Hill is a relatively short book, and once you get into the style of the language is actually quite easy to read, I read it in about 5 days.

The book is shocking, especially when you take into account the period when John Cleland was alive. The books of the day tended to be very subtle and very neat and rarely even made allusions to the bedchamber, let alone included candid descriptions of sordid acts.

Fanny Hill, who is the mains Character of the book, is someone with whom you can sympathise, because she really was left with few options but to pursue the line of work she did. It leads to feelings of gratification when she does eventually get the happy ending which you're earnestly hoping for.

Rowen

No comments:

Post a Comment